Significance of Regular Dental Exams and Cleanings
Good oral hygiene is begging of preventing dental problems. However, brushing and flossing your teeth daily might not be enough to prevent oral health issues. As a preventive measure, you should consider regular dental exams and cleanings.
What to Expect During Dental Exams and Cleanings
Our dentist in Burlington, ON, will design a custom treatment plan depending on your dental needs. However, there are some dental procedures you can expect even without a dental problem. Below is what you can expect:
Sometimes you might have a dental problem that is not visible by observation. Such dental problems might be on the jaw or root canal. To determine the condition of your jaw and root canals, the dentist will recommend dental x-rays.
Digital dental x-rays are safe. Therefore, you should not be concerned about complications associated with radiations.
Fluoride is a natural mineral that strengthens the teeth surfaces. Due to regular brushing and deficiency of fluoride, our dentist might recommend fluoride rinses during a dental exam and cleaning in Burlington, ON.
An oral hygienist carries out professional dental cleaning. Professional dental cleaning involves removing plaque and plaque, teeth scaling, and root planing. Also, the oral hygienist might recommend mild teeth stains removal. However, if you have moderate or severe dental stains, you might need teeth whitening.
If the oral hygienist identifies a potential dental problem, they will notify the dentist. The dentist will then assess the dental problem and recommend a treatment plan. By treating the oral health issues, you are at reduced risk of developing further complications.
Benefits of Dental Exams and Cleanings
As a preventive dental care procedure, dental exams and cleanings can be beneficial to people of all ages. Therefore, don’t hesitate to visit the dentist regularly for the same.
During the routine check-up, the dentist will check for any signs of tooth decay and cavities. Such dental problems can infect the root canal contents and lead to other secondary complications.
If you have pulp and tartar below the gum line, the dentist will recommend cleanings for plaque and tartar removal. Therefore, you will be at reduced risk of gum disease. Also, plaque removal can prevent tooth decay and discolouration.
Apart from tooth decay, dental exams can help in the early detection of the following:
- Oral Cancer. If you develop oral cancer and it progresses, you might be at risk of bone loss and fatality. However, it can be treatable if detected in the early stages.
- Gum Disease. Gum disease develops and advances into stages that might be complicated to treat. If the dentist detects the signs of gum infection during the oral exam, you will receive treatments, preventing further complications.
- General Health Conditions. Some dental problems are associated with general health problems. Therefore, the dentist might identify some potential health complications such as diabetes by examining your mouth.
Professional Dental Cleanings
When you seek dental cleanings, the oral hygienist will begin by removing plaque and tartar deposits on your teeth. Removing the plaque and tartar deposits prevent tooth decay and gum disease.
During the dental cleaning, the dentist might notice periodontal pockets that are signs of gum disease. To prevent the gum disease from advancing, the dentist will recommend root planning. Root planing eliminates the periodontal pockets plaque and tartar deposits in them.
By removing plaque and tartar deposits between and your teeth surfaces, the oral hygienist helps eliminate bad breath. Also, if you have mild stains and tooth discolouration, you can benefit from a dental cleaning.
Finally, dental cleanings can prevent the risk of other medical complications such as cancer, lung infections, stroke, diabetes, and heart disease.
Taking Full Advantage of Regular Dental Exams and Cleanings
If you want to maintain the benefits of a dental exam and cleaning, you should follow a good oral hygiene routine at home. Bacteria that cause different dental problems still accumulate daily. Therefore, you should practice the following:
- Brushing twice daily using fluoride toothpaste
- Replacing your toothbrush every three months
- Flossing your teeth at least once daily
- Rinsing your mouth using fluoride and antiseptic oral rinses
- Avoiding smoking or consuming other tobacco products
- Maintaining a healthy diet, especially foods that are nutritious to your enamel
If you have any questions about ways to maintain your teeth healthy, you can ask our dentist in Walkers Line Dental Centre during the regular visits.